Lightened-up Chicken Spaghetti is one of those rare dishes loved equally by kids and adults. The pasta draws the kids in, and the creamy sauce screams "comfort food".
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless or any combination making 2 cups of cooked meat
- 1 pound dry spaghetti broken in half
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup OK to substitute 1 can cream of chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese reserve 1/2 cup for later use
- 1/4 cup green pepper finely diced
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- 2 cups reserved chicken broth from pot (you may not need all of this)
- 1 tsp. Lawry's Season salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper optional, more or less to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
Place chicken in large pot and add water (I season the water with a little salt & pepper). Cook over medium heat until done, approximately 20 minutes if using boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Remove chicken from pot and shred with 2 forks. Remove 2 cups of broth from the pot, reserving for later use.
Cook spaghetti in remaining broth until al dente. You want your pasta to have a little "bite" to it, because you will be cooking it again in the oven. Drain spaghetti.
In a large bowl, combine cooked spaghetti with the remaining ingredients, except for the reserved broth and 1/2 cup reserved cheese. If mixture seems dry, add 1/2 cup increments of broth until desired consistency is reached.
Transfer mixture to a 13 x 9 casserole dish and top with reserved 1/2 cup cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly (about 45 minutes). Cover with foil if the cheese starts to brown.
- Feel free to use whatever chicken you have on hand: mixture of white & dark meat or use rotisserie chicken for a quick fix. You will want about 2 cups of cooked chicken.
- If you forget to reserve 2 cups of broth, substitute with bouillon and water to make 2 cups. I forget to reserve the broth almost EVERY time - seriously!
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- This dish can be made the day before - simply cover, store in refrigerator and cook the next day.
- Recipe slightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman.
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 670mg | Potassium: 340mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 345IU | Vitamin C: 8.3mg | Calcium: 225mg | Iron: 1.5mg