Red White & Blue Poke Cake with Homemade Frosting
Take this showstopper dessert to your next 4th of July or patriotic holiday party. This easy recipe for Red White & Blue Jello Poke Cake is a fun addition to your everyday meals, too!
- 1 white cake mix
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 small box cherry gelatin (3.4 oz) use ½ the package
- 1 small box berry blue gelatin (3.4 oz) use ½ the package
- 1 cup boiling water divided
- 1/2 cup cold water divided
- 1 8 ounce whipped topping thawed
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh Fruit
- Additional whipped topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine cake mix, eggs, buttermilk & oil and mix until smooth.
Spread batter evenly into baking dish. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
Combine ½ of the red gelatin package (about 2 tablespoons) with ½ cup boiling water. Stir about until dissolved (about 2 minutes). Add ¼ cup cold water and stir to combine.
Combine ½ of the blue gelatin package (about 2 tablespoons) with ½ cup boiling water. Stir until dissolved (about 2 minutes). Add ¼ cup cold water and stir to combine.
Using a wooden skewer or a large fork, poke holes into cake about every 1/2 inch. Carefully pour gelatin over the cake, alternating colors. Or use squeeze bottles to add gelatin directly into holes.
Chill in the refrigerator at least 3 hours or overnight.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
Gently fold in whipped topping.
Spread over cake.
Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Garnish with additional whipped topping, sprinkles or fruit.
Cover leftovers and store in the refrigerator.
- Change the gelatin flavors for other holidays.
- Make layered jello cups with the leftover gelatin mix.
- Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying this information independently for accuracy.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 272mg | Potassium: 49mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 75IU | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 1mg