Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes
Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes feature a zesty homemade sauce & can be made on the stove or in your crock pot. A family friendly dinner on the table in about 30 minutes.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- ⅓ cup yellow or white onion finely chopped
- ⅓ cup green pepper finely chopped, optional
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup barbeque sauce
- 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- hamburger buns
Instructions for CrockPot
In a large skillet, cook the ground beef with celery, onions and green pepper until beef is no longer pink and the vegetables are soft and translucent. Drain off grease if necessary.
Add cooked meat and remaining ingredients to slow cooker and stir to combine.
Cook on low for 2-3 hours or until heated through.
Instructions for Stovetop
In a large skillet, cook the ground beef with celery, onions and green pepper until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are soft and translucent. Drain off grease if necessary.
Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Cook over medium low heat for 15-30 minutes or until heated through and sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately on burger buns or keep warm in the crockpot until ready to serve.
- Make ahead directions: prepare as directed and refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve. Reheat on the stove top or in the microwave before serving.
- Freezer directions: prepare recipe as directed. Allow cooked meat to cool before transferring to a resealable freezer bag or container. Will keep for up to 2 months. To use: defrost overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove top or in the microwave before serving.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 362kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 952mg | Potassium: 814mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 422IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 5mg