Broccoli and cauliflower is roasted to perfection in the air fryer in just 15 minutes! Seasoned with garlic, basil and parmesan, this healthy side dish comes out tender but slightly crispy and is great for meal prepping.
We love making sides in the air fryer because they are easy to prepare and cook quickly. Like these air fried sweet potato wedges, brussels sprouts with bacon and twice baked potatoes. And when paired with a slow cooker meal, there’s hardly any work or clean up involved.
If you’re anything like me, you may be slightly addicted to air frying and maybe even own more than one of these amazing small appliances. Sometimes I’ll bust out both of mine and fix these veggies with Million Dollar Chicken Bake, Honey Glazed Chicken Thighs, or Air Fried meatloaf.
- large head broccoli
- large head cauliflower
- fresh basil stem
- garlic cloves – if you don’t want to use fresh, swap with store bought minced or garlic powder
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
- grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower
Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
Remove the broccoli florets from the stalk and cut into smaller pieces. Then place them in a large bowl.
Cut the cauliflower head in half from top to bottom, slicing straight through the stalk. Remove any leaves and cut the florets away into smaller pieces for both halves.
Rinse and drain the prepped broccoli and cauliflower. Pat dry.
Remove the basil leaves from the stems and stack together. Then roll them tightly, and cut into small ribbons. Dice and add half to the veggies, saving the rest for later.
Mince the garlic cloves and add to the bowl. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle in the spices and parmesan cheese. Toss to coat.
Lightly grease the air fryer basket or use a parchment paper liner. Add the broccoli and cauliflower. Air fry for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Follow the instructions above for preparing and seasoning.
Place the veggies on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
Lori’s Tips for Making
- Try to cut the florets in small, even pieces. I also cut the cauliflower slightly smaller than the broccoli since it takes a bit longer to cook.
- If you like dipping your broccoli and cauliflower in a sauce, leave the stems a little longer so they are easier to grab.
- Usually I try to keep food in a single layer when cooking in the air fryer. But for this recipe I just piled all of the veggies into the basket and they turned out fine.
- If you like extra crispy and roasted veggies, cook the vegetables in batches in a single layer.
- Shake the basket halfway through for best results.
Storing and Reheating
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Reheat in the microwave or in the air fryer if you want the veggies a little more crispy.
Can I Use Frozen Vegetables?
For this recipe, we don’t recommend it. Frozen veggies are hard to season and contain more moisture, which means the end results will not be the same.
Easy Air Fryer Side Dishes
Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower
- 1 large head broccoli
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 fresh basil stem
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the broccoli: start by removing the broccoli branches from the stalk. Cut the florets into smaller pieces. Place cut broccoli in a large bowl.
- Prepare the cauliflower: cut the head in half, going from top to bottom and straight down the center stalk. Starting with one of the halves, remove any leaves and cut away the cauliflower branches from the stalk. After you’ve removed the cauliflower florets separate the smaller pieces. Discard the stalk and any leaves. Place cauliflower in the bowl with the broccoli.
- Rinse the broccoli and cauliflower to wash away debris. Drain, pat dry, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the basil: remove the basil leaves from the stems. Stack the leaves and roll tightly. Chop the rolled leaves into small diced ribbons of basil, then dice. Add half of the basil to the broccoli and cauliflower and set the rest aside for later use.
- Remove the skin from the garlic cloves. Slice the cloves into thin slivers and add to the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Drizzle the broccoli and cauliflower with oil. Add the spices and parmesan. Toss the broccoli and cauliflower to fully coat with the spices and parmesan.
- Lightly grease the air fryer basket or use a parchment paper liner. Add the broccoli and cauliflower to the basket and cook for 15 minutes, shaking at the halfway point. Cook until broccoli and cauliflower is tender and can be pierced with a fork.
- Cut veggies into equal size pieces for even cooking.
- We recommend cutting the cauliflower pieces slightly smaller than the broccoli because they take a little longer to cook.
- Shake the basket midway through cooking.
- We don’t recommend using frozen broccoli or cauliflower for this recipe.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or air fry at 350 degrees F for crispy veggies.
- Oven directions: follow directions up to the cooking process. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add veggies and bake for 20 minutes until tender.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.