We’ve taken the classic green bean casserole recipe and converted it to an easy air fryer dish. A staple on holiday tables, this comfort food dish is ready in about 20 minutes.
We usually eat green bean casserole around the holidays, but every once in a while I get a craving for this retro recipe. The last time that happened I decided to test it in the air fryer and found that it was easy enough to make during the week!
I love that this recipe uses simple ingredients that I usually have on hand. Not to mention I can actually prep it ahead of time if I need to. And it’s a good option at the holidays when you’re running short on oven space.
- canned green beans – regular or French cut can be used
- cream of mushroom soup – use canned or homemade
- Worcestershire sauce
- heavy whipping cream
- crispy fried onion strings
How to Make Air Fryer Green Bean Casserole
Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F. Drain the beans.
Combine the beans, Worcestershire, soup, spices, cream, and half of the onions in a bowl and mix.
Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish (see our notes below regarding dishes).
Place the dish in the air fryer and cook for 10 minutes, then top with the remaining fried onions. Cook for another 3 minutes or until the onions are crispy.
Carefully remove the dish and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2 quart baking dish. Mix the ingredients together and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven then top with the leftover onions and cook for another 5 minutes.
Tips for Making
- If preferred, swap the Worcestershire sauce for soy sauce.
- Before adding more salt, taste it! We think the soup and Worcestershire add enough salt without adding more.
- The heavy cream makes the “sauce” creamy but you can use milk if that’s what you have on hand.
- Be sure to double check that your baking dish will fit in the air fryer basket before starting. You’ll need a 1.5 to 2 quart dish to hold all the ingredients.
- When removing the dish from the air fryer, be very careful! It’s extremely hot, so we recommend using silicon gloves to prevent burns.
Can You Use Fresh or Frozen Green Beans?
Sure can! If you are using fresh green beans, parboil them for a few minutes so they are partially cooked before mixing them in with the other ingredients.
For frozen green beans, you’ll want to thaw them completely, then drain off the liquid before using.
Can You Make Air Fried Green Bean Casserole Ahead of Time?
Yes! It can be assembled up to 2 days in advance. Before cooking, allow it to come to room temperature so it cooks evenly.
If you choose to place it directly in the air fryer while it’s cold, it will take longer to cook.
Storing and Reheating Instructions
Keep leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave.
Air Fryer Side Dish Recipes
Air Fryer Green Bean Casserole
- 2 14.5 ounce cans green beans, drained – French or regular cut
- 10 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups crispy fried onion strings, reserve 1 ½ cups
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the beans, soup, Worcestershire, cream, spices and ½ cup of onions in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the bean mixture in a greased baking dish (see notes for sizing).
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Open the air fryer and top the dish with the reserved fried onions. Cook for an additional 3 minutes or until the onions are crispy.
- Carefully remove the dish from the basket (we recommend using silicone gloves) and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Can use fresh or frozen beans. Thaw frozen beans & remove excess liquid before proceeding. If using fresh beans, par cook them for a few minutes & drain before making the dish.
- Taste the dish before adding salt – we think it’s salty enough from the soup and Worcestershire sauce.
- You’ll need a 1 ½ – 2 quart baking dish to make this recipe. Make sure the dish is oven-safe and fits your air fryer basket before proceeding.
- Can be made 1-2 days ahead of time. Allow to set at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before cooking.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
- Oven directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook in a greased 2-quart dish for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, top with reserved onions and continue cooking for 5 more minutes until onions are crispy.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.