Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on a link and/or make a purchase, I may be paid a small commission at no additional cost to you. Additionally, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Disclosure page for more information.
Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows are a fun and tasty treat. And your kids will LOVE helping you make them. And drink them – watching them “explode” into hot cocoa is the best part!
Confession time: since I started making hot chocolate bombs I’m totally addicted. At first, I was a little intimidated by the process but I quickly got the hang of it. And so will you!
These are so festive and magical. They make a cute gift on their own – package a couple in a cello bag or bakery box for a quick treat. And they make a fun stocking stuffer or addition to edible gift baskets.
And I love how you can transform hot chocolate bombs with marshmallows into a year round treat by changing up the decorations. You can enjoy this tasty treat during Fall, Spring, and Winter months. Heck, you may even want them on a cool summer morning or night sitting around the campfire.
To be holiday-specific, simply change up the sprinkle colors and icing decorations. You can always use different colored marshmallows as well. The possibilities are endless!
What You Need to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows
Chocolate – we’ll be melting it for the outer shell. Choose your favorite – milk, white, or dark. Chips, wafers, or bars all work well as long as it’s a good quality brand of chocolate.
Cocoa Mix – Use your favorite brand or homemade mix.
Marshmallows – use mini-sized or dehydrated mallows so they fit inside of the chocolate bomb.
You will also need a dome/sphere shaped silicone mold. If you are purchasing online, verify the size before hitting the “buy” button. You want the mold to be big enough that the marshmallows fit inside but overall you want them to be small enough to fit into a mug filled with milk.
Don’t forget to grab a food grade paintbrush!
How To Make Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows
Steps 1 & 2: Melt the chocolate and spoon into the mold.
Steps 3 & 4: Use the paintbrush or the back of a spoon to cover the inner part of the mold with chocolate then let it harden. Make sure to evenly coat all the way to the top edge. Repeat 2-4 times, until the shell is solid.
After refrigerating, gently remove the chocolate shells and start filling half the shells with cocoa and marshmallows.
Now it’s time to assemble the hot cocoa bombs. Seal the edges by slightly melting the flat side on a warm plate and placing it on a filled half. Gently smooth any rough edges with your finger.
Serve by dropping the hot chocolate bomb into a mug and pouring hot milk over the top.
Decorating Cocoa Bombs
If you are going to add sprinkles and additional chocolate decorations to the outside, you’ll want to do that after you have assembled the cocoa bombs.
To decorate with sprinkles, dip the chocolate bomb in the additional melted chocolate, then dip into sprinkles. Sprinkles will only stick to wet chocolate, so you’ll need to work quickly.
To pipe icing or chocolate on the outside, use a piping bag or cut the corner of a ziploc bag and add melted chocolate. Then decorate as desired.
More options for decorating:
- Chopped nuts
- Cookie crumbs
- Chocolate shavings
- Crushed candy
- Peppermint chunks
For Gift Giving and Holidays
These make great gifts when combined with other edibles, a mug, or even for hosting a hot chocolate bar. Simply wrap them in a small cello bag, tie with a festive ribbon, and add a small instruction card for using.
Ideas for holiday decorations
- For spring and Easter: Add pastel marshmallows and Spring colored sprinkles
- Halloween and Fall: Seasonal sprinkles, dip in pretzel chips
- New Year: Add metallic and gold sprinkles or edible paint
- Christmas: Use red and green accents
- Hanukkuh: Decorate with blue, silver, and gold accents
More No-Bake Treats You Will Enjoy:
**Pin the Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows Recipe for Later**
Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows
- 12 ounces melting chocolate, Milk, Dark or White (chips, bark or melting wafers
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 3 Tablespoons instant hot cocoa mix
- Melt the chocolate using a double boiler or in the microwave. If using the microwave, heat for 15 seconds and stir, repeating as needed until chocolate is melted & smooth.
- Spoon a small amount of chocolate into the mold. Using the paintbrush or the back of a spoon, spread the chocolate evenly around the mold, making sure to get all the way up to the top edges.
- Allow chocolate to harden. Repeat layering on more chocolate until you have done 3-4 layers.
- Refrigerate and allow chocolate to completely harden (about 30 minutes). Gently remove from the mold and place on a baking tray.
- Fill half of the shells with 1 tablespoon of hot chocolate mix and dehydrated marshmallows.
- Heat a microwave safe plate until warm (approximately 30-60 seconds). Place an empty chocolate shell (flat side down) onto the plate to soften the edges. Quickly place the empty shell on top of the filled half. Use your finger to smooth out rough edges with melted chocolate.
- To make cocoa: Place a hot chocolate bomb in a mug. Pour 1 cup of warm milk over the top to melt and reveal the treats within.
- Be careful not to overheat the chocolate or it will seize.
- Dehydrated mini marshmallows can be substituted for regular marshmallows.
- Optional decorations: crushed candy canes, Andes mint pieces, sprinkles.
- Store in an air tight container in a cool dry place, away from heat sources.
- These can be decorated for any holiday by varying the colors & decorations.
- Nutritional information will vary, based on ingredients & decorations used.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.