S’mores Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect no bake snack or dessert, without the hassle of building a fire.
I love this fun riff on classic crispy treats because it’s s’mores (who doesn’t like s’mores?!). With the mix of the chocolatey goodness and melted mallows, these are a guilty pleasure.
Campfires are fun but they aren’t always convenient and the weather doesn’t always cooperate. So we decided to bring the fun indoors!
Kids LOVE these easy s’mores treats. I’m not sure if it’s because they are so delicious or because it reminds them of campfire treats.
Whatever the reason, these tasty bars are a great addition to parties and potlucks. And they make a great after school snack too.
Ingredients for S’ mores Rice Krispy Treats
Rice Krispies cereal – If you want even more chocolate flavor, substitute with Cocoa Krispies in an equal amount.
Graham Cracker Crumbs – Grind whole graham crackers to fine crumbs using a blender or food processor (check out this easy graham cracker crust recipe). You can also purchase ready-to-use graham crumbs at the grocery store (Honey Maid and Keebler are good brands) if you don’t have a blender or processor.
Marshmallows – You will need regular sized marshmallows for the bars and mini size for the topping.
Chocolate Bars – I prefer to use the classic Hershey Milk Chocolate Bars. If you’re a dark chocolate lover, you can substitute those instead.
Other Ingredients – unsalted butter, mini chocolate chips.
Can I use Marshmallow Fluff/Creme instead of marshmallows?
Yes! A 7oz jar of Jet Puffed Marshmallow Creme equals 4 cups of mini marshmallows or 40 large marshmallows.
If you choose to use marshmallow creme, your smores treats may take a little longer to set up, but the flavor will be the same.
You’ll want to reduce the butter. Use just a little when you warm up the fluff. You’re only heating the fluff so it spreads smoothly – be careful not to overcook it.
How long should Smores Rice Krispie Treats cool before cutting?
If you try to cut the s’mores treats into squares as soon as they come out of the oven, you’ll end up with a stringy mess. You’ve got to give the marshmallows time to set up.
We recommend waiting between 5 and 30 minutes before cutting.
How do you keep Rice Krispie Treats crispy?
The best way to store these tasty treats is in an airtight container. They’ll stay fresh for about 2-3 days (if they last that long!).
You can also freeze them for later. I recommend wrapping them individually and placing in a ziptop bag or airtight freezer container. To thaw, place on the counter at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before eating.
Why are my marshmallows not melting?
There are a couple reasons why marshmallows don’t melt. First, make sure you are using fresh marshmallows. Older marshmallows that are starting to dry out just don’t melt very well.
Another reason may be due to the brand you are using. Unfortunately, cheaper store brand marshmallows may not yield good results. I highly recommend using the Kraft Jet Puffed brand for best results every time.
More Easy Desserts:
S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 bag (12 ounce) regular size marshmallows
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- mini marshmallows for topping
- 5-6 chocolate bars , plus additional for garnishing
- Generously coat a 13×9 baking pan with butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal and graham cracker crumbs.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter and regular size marshmallows.
- Heating over low heat, stir constantly until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal and graham cracker crumbs. Gently stir until evenly coated.
- Add mini chocolate chips and stir gently to combine.
- Spread evenly into the prepared baking pan and allow to cool completely.
- Pre-heat oven to broil.
- Top crispy treats with mini marshmallows.
- Heat under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, watching closely, until marshmallows are toasted.
- Remove pan from the oven and immediately garnish with pieces of chocolate bar between the marshmallows.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter.
- Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend independently verifying this information.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.