Looking to change up Taco Tuesdays? How about a piping hot bowl of Easy Taco Soup? Enjoy all the taco flavors in a bowl and on the table in 30 minutes!
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
Today I’m updating a long time family favorite and “go to” recipe.
Easy Taco Soup is one of those classic recipes that never goes out of style. It delivers with a fantastic Tex-Mex flavor profile.
And the easy preparation guarantees this recipe has a spot on the regular meal rotation. All busy Mamas appreciate a recipe you can toss together and have on the table in about 30 minutes for those busy weeknight dinners.
I’ve been making Easy Taco Soup for years, tweaking it here and there. I think I’m finally at a point where I can quit tinkering with the recipe. Maybe!
Can’t get enough of the taco flavors? Give my Homemade Taco Salad Recipe a try. It’s one of my go-to recipes because it’s incredibly EASY to make and everyone in my family loves it!
RELATED: Set up a Taco Bar for a fun weeknight meal.
Ingredients for the Best Taco Soup
You most likely have all the ingredients in your pantry or freezer right now. And if you’re missing an ingredient, feel free to substitute with a similar ingredient.
Which makes this an ideal choice when you’re frazzled at the end of the day and have limited time to make dinner.
You’ll need the following items for the classic version of this soup:
- Protein: lean ground beef
- Veggies: tomatoes, corn, black beans and onion
- Seasonings: taco seasoning and ranch dressing mix
Helpful Tips for Making This Recipe
- You can substitute ground turkey or shredded chicken for the ground beef.
- Swap a bag of frozen Birds Eye C&W Ultimate Southwest Blend for the canned beans & corn. It’s a nice blend, with more corn than beans. Which means The Girl may actually eat a bowl. The mild poblano chiles and red peppers give the soup a nice little zip without adding any heat.
- I don’t add additional salt to this recipe because I think the taco seasoning and ranch dressing mix bring enough salt to the party.
- If you have pre-cooked ground beef, this is a 30-minute meal.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Option
If you have a few extra minutes, I encourage you to make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning. It’s so easy – truly!
The best part? No funky ingredients when you make your own seasoning mix.
Don’t be put off by the ingredient list. These are all basic pantry spices.
And it only takes a few minutes to mix up a batch.
Serving Suggestions for Easy Taco Soup
- Toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips.
- I like to set up a toppings bar, so everyone can load up with the toppings they prefer.
- Hot sauce (Cholula is our fave).
- Serve with a couple slices of garlic bread (don’t knock it until you’ve tried it). I’ve been hooked on garlic bread with Mexican food since the LaCocina days. Longtime Aspen-area people will know what I’m talking about, right?
Tools Used to Make This Recipe:
Sometimes the right tools can make or break your cooking experience. These are the tools I used to make quick work of this recipe:
For Ranch-lovers – when a single packet just isn’t enough. Can also be found at Costco.
Ground meat chopper – gives an even consistency to cooked ground meats.
Cast iron dutch oven with lid – makes this a one pot meal.
More Taco Recipes You May Like
What’s your favorite way to enjoy Easy Taco Soup?
Share this easy recipe with a busy Mama – she’ll thank you!
Easy Taco Soup was one of the first recipes I posted on my blog. And it was overdue for a refresh. Originally posted on 7/30/14 and updated on 2/4/19.
A Reinvented Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
MORE ARM FAMILY FAVORITES:
- 1 pound lean ground beef, I use 93/7*
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed*
- 1 small can whole kernel corn,, drained*
- 1 can diced tomatoes,, I like to use the petite-diced
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix (or 2 tbsp. Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 3-4 cups water
- Optional: shredded cheese, Cholula or hot sauce
- Brown the ground beef and chopped onion in a large pot until beef is no longer pink (onion should be translucent). Drain grease.
- Add the ranch and homemade taco seasoning mixes, tomato sauce, beans, corn and 3 cups water. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Add additional water if soup is too thick.
- Serve with shredded cheese and hot sauce if desired.
- Substitute the cans of beans and corn with 1 bag of Birds Eye C&W Ultimate Southwest Blend (found in the frozen veggie section).
- I don't add additional salt because the taco & ranch mixes contain salt.
- Use pre-cooked ground beef to make this a 30 minute meal.
- Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Any nutritional information shared on www.AReinventedMom.com should only be used as a general guideline.