This Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup recipe is packed with rich flavor. It makes an easy yet hearty dinner – perfect for those nights when you want something warm and cozy without a lot of hassle.
Pasta is on my short list of go-to comfort foods because it’s hearty and filling, and typically accompanied by a flavorful sauce. And most pasta recipes come together quickly, making it an easy choice for busy moms.
This recipe combines tortellini with a rich tomato broth and hearty Italian sausage for a filling, easy dinner. Serve it with garlic bread or crusty rolls and you’ve got a complete meal.
And if that isn’t enough of a reason to give this recipe a try, you’ll appreciate that it uses ingredients you probably already have in your pantry and freezer. Clocking in at less than an hour to make, this recipe is perfect for busy nights.
- Italian sausage – use sweet or spicy
- Tomatoes – canned
- Tomato sauce
- Chicken broth
- Onion – chopped
- Herbs & spices – garlic, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper
How to Make Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
Soups are one of those dishes that you can’t really mess up. And they are usually easy to throw together – this one requires just 10 minutes of prep time!
Start by browning the sausage and onions. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, and seasonings. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add the frozen tortellini and cook until the pasta is tender. That’s it!
Why I Love this Tortellini Soup Recipe
- It’s an easy, hearty comfort meal in a bowl.
- You can easily swap out ingredients for whatever you have on hand. Don’t have Italian sausage? Try ground turkey or beef, spicy Italian sausage, or shredded chicken. Missing tortellini but have orzo or another small pasta? That’ll work.
- You can double or triple this recipe if you want leftovers or need to feed a crowd .
Tools Needed to Make this Recipe:
What to serve with this easy dinner
Top hot soup with fresh shaved parmesan. Add a loaf of good, crusty bread or garlic bread and you have a delicious dinner in under an hour!
How to Store Leftover Soup
Store cooled soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
Note: you may need to add additional broth when reheating.
More Easy Dinner Recipes:
My version of this recipe is inspired by my friend Kelly B. She contributed dozens of pots of this delicious soup to the high school concession stand over the years. It remains a family favorite to this day.
Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 16 ounce can tomato sauce
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 16 ounce package frozen tortellini
- Shaved Parmesan, optional
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the Italian sausage and diced onion, crumbling the sausage as it cooks. Continue sautéing until the sausage is no longer pink and the onions are soft. Add minced garlic to the sausage mixture and stir.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce temperature to low. Allow soup to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add tortellini to soup and simmer until the pasta is tender (about 10 minutes).
- Top with shaved parmesan, if using.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Substitute hot Italian sausage for a spicier soup.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.