Make filet mignon and potatoes in the air fryer for a dinner full of flavor and texture. It’s cooked to perfection, tender, juicy, and everything you look for in an amazing steak dinner.
I am a bit of a steak snob when it comes to ordering at restaurants. While I like my filet to be prepared to medium, I feel like even if it’s overcooked, it’s still delicious compared to ribeye and sirloin cuts.
But I have a hard time justifying the high price point at steakhouses. Now that I’ve discovered I can make filet mignon for two in less than an hour there’s no going back. And it tastes better than most, plus we don’t have to leave the house.
For a full blown steak dinner I like to make twice baked potatoes and focaccia bread. This makes a delicious special occasion or holiday meal – like anniversary or Valentine’s Day. And it’s easy enough for a busy weeknight when that steak craving hits hard.
BUT when I’m in a rush, I prepare the steaks with baby potatoes. It’s a one pan meal that is simple enough for an amazing weeknight dinner. I’ve said it before, the air fryer is a magic machine that does it all.
More air fryer tips and tricks
- filet mignon steaks – ours were about 8 ounces each and 1-1.5 inches thick
- baby potatoes – if you don’t want potatoes go with your favorite veggie
- olive oil – split use
- salt and cracked peppercorn
- butter – while it’s optional, just a pat adds another level of flavor
How to Make Air Fryer Filet Mignon
Allow the steaks to come to room temperature. This will give you the juiciest steak and helps you get an even cook on them, so don’t skip this part. Plus when they are cold, they will take a bit longer to cook and may end up overdone.
Prep the potatoes while the steaks are hanging out on the counter. Wash and pat them dry then cut in half and season with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Cook for 15 minutes in the air fryer at 400 degrees F, then remove and loosely cover with foil.
Stir the steak seasonings together in a small bowl and rub on the filets. Place the steaks in a pan then in the air fryer and brush with oil.
Cook for 10-15 minutes, depending on how you like them. We’ve included a cooking chart with times and temperatures below for reference.
Remove filets from air fryer and tent foil. Allow the filet mignons to rest for 10 minutes before slicing so the juices can add the flavor instead of leaking out.
Serve with a pat of butter if using, your sides and enjoy this easy steakhouse style dinner.
Do You Have to Use a Pan?
The steaks can be placed directly in the basket but the pan helps to catch the drippings. You can also add a layer of foil to the bottom of the basket and turn up the edges to catch the juices. Then toss it when you’re done cooking.
How Long to Cook Air Fried Filet Mignon and Steak Temperatures
We love that filet mignons are so tender, but if they are cooked beyond medium you’ll notice a difference in flavor and tenderness. We do recommend using a meat thermometer to check the temperature.
- Rare: 120-125°F – 10-12 minutes
- Medium rare: 130-135°F – 11-13 minutes
- Medium: 140-145°F – 12-14 minutes
- Medium well: 150-155°F – 13-15 minutes
- Well: 160-165°F – 14-16 minutes
Tips for Making
- When selecting your steaks, try to get two that are similar in size. Also, don’t go bigger or thicker because they are harder to cook in the air fryer.
- Montreal steak seasoning can be used in place of the other seasonings.
- Make sure you select a baking pan that fits your air fryer basket.
- If you are cooking more than 2 steaks, you may need to do so in batches depending on the size of your air fryer basket. You need to cook the steaks in a single layer, without overlapping, for them to cook properly.
- Remember, the steaks will continue cooking after they are removed from the air fryer and covered. It’s best to take them out of the air fryer when they are about 5 degrees from your desired temperature.
- Finish with a compound butter instead of plain butter at the end.
Storing and Reheating Instructions
Wrap leftovers in an airtight container or foil and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer for 7-8 minutes at 350 degrees F or slice and reheat in a skillet.
What to Serve With
This hearty dinner goes well with a salad or roasted vegetable like air fried Parmesan asparagus.
Our Favorite EASY
Air Fryer Main Dishes
Air Fryer Filet Mignon and Baby Potatoes
- 2 filet mignon steaks, about 8 ounces each and 1-1.5 inches thick
- 1 pound baby potatoes, washed & dried
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, split use
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- Remove steaks from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- While the steaks are hanging out, let’s prepare the potatoes. Preheat the air fryer to 400° F.
- Cut the baby potatoes in half, season with salt and pepper to taste, toss with 1-2 tablespoons of oil and cook for 15 minutes or until soft enough to pierce with a fork. Remove from basket, tent with foil & set aside.
- Combine the salt, pepper, thyme and parsley in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- After the steaks have reached room temp, season them on all sides, pressing it into the meat. Place seasoned steaks in a pan and brush them with oil.
- Place pan in the air fryer and cook for 10-15 minutes until desired doneness is reached (see chart below). Steaks will continue to cook after removing from heat source so remove them at 5 degrees less than desired temperature.
- Remove steaks to a plate and tent with foil, allowing them to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Slicing too soon will result in the juices escaping rather than absorbing into the meat.
- Serve with a pat of butter to melt over the steaks for extra flavor if desired
- Additional seasoning options: Montreal Steak seasoning or compound butter.
- Don’t skip bringing the steaks to room temp because it allows for a more even cook on the steaks.
- Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- Filet mignon is a very tender cut of beef and if you cook it beyond Medium it may dry out or be tough. These are doneness ranges:
Rare temp: 120-125°F – 10-12 minutes
Medium. rare: 130-135°F – 11-13 minutes
Medium: 140-145°F – 12-14 minutes
Medium well: 150-155°F – 13-15 minutes
Well: 160-165°F – 14-16 minutes
- Can substitute other vegetables for the potatoes for a low carb option.
- Make sure your pan fits in the basket.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in air fryer for 7-8 minutes at 350 degrees F or slice and reheat in a skillet on the stove.
- Optional ingredients aren’t included in nutritional calculations.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.