Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on a link and/or make a purchase, I may be paid a small commission at no additional cost to you. Additionally, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Disclosure page for more information.
Hot chocolate cookies with mini marshmallows are like having a cup of hot cocoa in cookie form. These chewy cookies are soft, full of rich chocolate flavor and studded with gooey pockets of marshmallows.
Full of the classic Swiss Miss flavor, chocolate marshmallow cookies are the perfect treat for any chocolate lover. And today we’re making them in the air fryer so you can indulge your sweet tooth a little quicker.
So grab a glass of milk and let’s make one of our favorite cookie recipes.
While hot cocoa is a beverage usually enjoyed during the winter time, we’re excited that we can make cookies using hot chocolate mix year round.
With a rich chocolate flavor base, each bite of this chewy cookie is full of gooey marshmallow. No wonder it’s one of our favorite cookies!
More easy cookie recipes:
While air fryers have a smaller capacity compared to the oven, we appreciate not having to heat the house up to make this easy cookie recipe. But this recipe makes 48 cookies so we’ll need to cook in batches.
If you don’t need that many cookies you can make a half batch. We’ve also included oven-baked directions below for your convenience.
- all-purpose flour – it needs to be aerated before measuring. If you are unsure about this technique, see the section below.
- instant hot cocoa mix – any brand will work, just be sure it’s the mix only and not the kind with the mini marshmallow bits.
- baking soda – a leavening agent that helps to make the cookies rise.
- granulated sugar and light brown sugar – adds sweetness. Also using a blend yields a tender cookie and gives them a chewy texture.
- salted butter – allow time for the butter to soften so it’s easy to mix in.
- large eggs – you’ll want these to be at room temperature.
- vanilla extract– rounds out the flavors.
- chocolate chips – we like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- mini marshmallows – fresh is the best in this recipe because they are a signature ingredient.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cookies with Mini Marshmallows
Preheat the air fryer to 300 degrees F.
Mix the flour, hot chocolate mix, and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars together using an electric hand mixer on Medium speed until it’s light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until the cookie dough forms.
Fold in the chocolate chips and a cup of mini marshmallows.
Use a cookie scoop to portion the dough pieces to about a tablespoon, then roll between the palms of your hands to form dough balls.
Place a parchment paper liner in the basket, and put the cookie dough balls in, leaving some space between each one.
Air fry for 6 minutes, then pull out the basket. Place 2-3 marshmallows on top of each cookie and continue cooking for the remaining 4 minutes.
Remove the cocoa cookies from the fryer, and transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Tips for Making Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Make sure your marshmallows are fresh for best results.
- For even cooking, use a cookie scoop to make equal-sized portions.
- This recipe has not been tested with sugar free hot chocolate mix.
- Use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows on top for a crispier finish. Be sure to do this on a metal tray to avoid starting a fire.
How to Aerate Flour for Baking
Aerating flour means to lighten it by adding air into it. This helps to remove any lumps or compacted areas in the flour that may have formed during storage. It’s also the best way to get an accurate measurement. Many times baking fails happen because ingredient measurements are off, and flour is one that can easily be incorrectly measured.
To aerate the flour, you can use a sifter or a fine-mesh sieve. Simply place the flour into the sifter or sieve and shake it gently over a bowl. This will cause the flour to fall through the sieve or sifter, and in the process, the flour will be aerated by the movement of air.
This process can help make baked goods lighter and fluffier, as well as help to prevent clumps from forming when the flour is combined with other ingredients.
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
- Mallow bits can be used in place of regular mini marshmallows. However, they won’t be gooey since they are freeze dried/dehydrated.
- Dark, milk, or white chocolate chips can be used in place of the semi-sweet chips.
- This chocolate marshmallow cookie recipe is a fun addition to your Christmas cookies lineup and holiday cookie exchanges.
How to Bake in the Oven
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Prepare recipe as directed up to cooking. Place the dough balls 1-2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
Bake cookies for 8-9 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from the oven, top with the remaining marshmallows and bake for 2 more minutes.
How to Store
Leftover hot chocolate cookies can be stored on the counter in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Air Fryer Dessert Recipes
Air Fryer Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, aerated
- 8 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- Preheat air fryer to 300 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, hot cocoa powder, and baking soda. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- Mix the sugars and butter using a stand or hand mixer until it’s fluffy and slightly lumpy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, beating until creamy.
- Gradually add the cocoa mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until a soft cookie dough forms.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and 1 cup of marshmallows.
- Portion the dough with a small cookie scoop (about 1 tablespoon each) and roll the dough into balls with your hands.
- Place a parchment liner in the air fryer basket and add cookie dough balls. Be sure to leave some space between the dough to allow room to spread.
- Cook for 10 minutes. At the 6 minute mark, open the air fryer and top each cookie with 2-3 marshmallows from the reserved mallows. Note the cookies will flatten when you do this. Close the basket and continue cooking.
- Remove cookies from the basket and place them on a baking rack to cool.
- Make sure your marshmallows are fresh for best results. We don’t like to use dehydrated marshmallows with this recipe.
- Can substitute with milk, dark or white chocolate chips.
- Use a kitchen torch for a crispier finish on the marshmallows, after cooking the cookies. Make sure to do this on a metal tray to avoid starting a fire.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for 3-4 days.
- Oven baked directions: preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place dough balls about 1-2 inches apart. Bake for 8-9 minutes, remove from oven and top with reserved mallows and bake for 2 more minutes.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.