Today I am sharing a Family Favorite recipe – Orange Salad. My sister-in-law (Hi Cheryl!) shared the Orange Salad recipe with me a long time ago and it’s made an appearance at all our holiday and special occasion meals since then. It has a mousse-like texture and the taste is reminiscent of a Dreamsicle.
I’m not sure why this dish is called a “salad” because it truly tastes more like a dessert. We will continue to call it a salad and serve it with the meal because to call it a dessert means we would have to choose between Orange Salad and say, cake or pie. And that just wouldn’t be right. You are with me on this, right?!
6/10/16: Photos updated.
1 large (6 oz.) package orange jell-o
2 small (3 oz.) packages vanilla cook & serve pudding & pie filling
4 cups hot water
8 oz. Cool Whip
1 large can mandarin oranges, drained
1. Combine orange jell-o, vanilla pudding and hot water in a large saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
3. Continue boiling (and stirring) until mixture turns clear.
4. Pour into dish or bowl and chill overnight.
5. Combine Cool Whip with jell-o/pudding mixture (a potato masher works well for this step).
6. Add mandarin oranges and stir gently.
Work Smarter: Sometimes the right tools can make or break your cooking experience. These are the tools I used to make quick work of this recipe:
Whisk – perfect size for dressings & sauces. Dishwasher safe with sealed barrel.
Hand held potato masher – easiest way to combine the pudding mixture & Cool Whip.
A Reinvented Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This post may contain an affiliate link(s). If you choose to click on the link and/or make a purchase, I may be paid a small amount which helps to support this website. All opinions are my own.
- 1 large (6 oz.) package orange jell-o
- 2 small (3 oz.) packages vanilla cook & serve pudding & pie filling
- 4 cups hot water
- 8 oz. Cool Whip
- 1 large can mandarin oranges, drained
- Combine orange jell-o, vanilla pudding and hot water in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Continue boiling (and stirring) until mixture turns clear.
- Pour into dish or bowl and chill overnight.
- Combine Cool Whip with jell-o/pudding mixture (a potato masher works well for this step).
- Add mandarin oranges and stir gently.
I’ve linked this recipe at: Show & Share Wednesday at Mostly Homemade Mom, Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker, Tasty Tuesday at New Mrs. Adventures, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday at Buns in My Oven, Motivation Monday at A Life in Balance, Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, Weekend Bites at Simple Living & Eating, Friday Favorites at The Diary of a Real Housewife, A Dish of Daily Life, Weekend Potluck at The Better Baker, Strut Your Stuff at Six Sisters Stuff, Super Saturday at Bakerette, Show Stopper Saturday at Joyful Healthy Eats, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party, Pin Junkie Pin Party at The Pin Junkie, Best of the Weekend at Cooking on the Front Burner, Saturday Night Fever at Diary of a Recipe Collector, Made by You Monday at Skip To My Lou, Celebrate It at The Freshman Cook, Show Me at 3 Little Greenwoods, New Nostalgia and With A Blast.