This Baked Brie with Cranberries and Walnuts recipe is a delectable holiday appetizer. It’s festive appearance makes it a pretty addition to charcuterie boards. Or you can serve it as a stand alone appetizer.
I am absolutely in love with using cookie cutters to make cheese cutouts! It’s an easy way to level up your parties, and your guests will think you spent all day in the kitchen.
For this version of baked Brie with cranberries and walnuts, I’m using a turkey cookie cutter. But you can customize this recipe to any holiday by changing the cookie cutter.
The cutters work well for any kind of cheese. Simply coordinate the size of the cutter to the size of the cheese you want to cut.
You have to see how I added this baked Brie appetizer to my Thanksgiving Charcuterie Board. It turned out to amazing if I say so myself!
Quick Links for Holiday Cookie Cutters:
What is Brie?
Brie cheese can be made from goat or cow’s milk and has a soft and buttery texture. It is encased in a molded rind that is considered a delicacy in some circles.
Originating in France, Brie is made from raw milk. While the U.S can import it, the imported cheese is not truly authentic. This is because of the aging process – by the time the authentic cheese arrived here, it would already be too ripe to eat.
Can You Eat the Rind?
Yes! The rind actually serves a purpose by protecing the cheese from unwanted bacteria during production. Even though it’s technically a mold, the outside rind is edible. It has a slightly bitter taste that doesn’t appeal to everyone.
Ingredients for Baked Cranberry Walnut Brie
Brie cheese wheel
Whole berry cranberry sauce – use the quick recipe below or store bought
Walnuts or pecans – chopped
How to Make Baked Brie Cranberries and Walnuts
Place the Brie cheese wheel on the prepared baking sheet.
Using your cookie cutter, gently press it down through the center of the cheese wheel. If the cheese is thicker, slice the cutout in half horizontally, maintaining the cutter shape. Return the cheese back to the center.
Place the cheese in the oven and bake for 5 to 8 minutes, until the cheese has softened. Remove pan from the oven, and let it sit for 5 minutes before adding the cranberry sauce and nuts.
How to Make Quick Cranberry Walnut Sauce
Ingredients for Easy Cranberry Sauce
- fresh cranberries – cleaned and rinsed
- unsalted butter
- fresh thyme
- lemon juice – fresh is best!
- walnuts or pecans, chopped
How to Make the Sauce
Combine the fresh cranberries, butter, honey, thyme, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and nuts in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil.
Be sure to stir constantly as the mixture thickens. Once it’s thickened, take the pot off the heat and allow it cool for a bit before adding to the Brie.
Tips for Making & Storing
- Be sure to let the sauce cool before you add it to the cheese or the cheese will start to melt.
- You can make the sauce ahead of time. Reheat it a little to take the chill off before adding it to the cheese.
- Whole cranberry sauce works the best here. I haven’t tried this recipe with the jellied version.
More of My Favorite Holiday Appetizers:
- The BEST Classic Cheese Ball Recipe
- Neiman Marcus Dip (Million Dollar Dip)
- Reindeer Snack Mix ~ Sweet & Spicy Chex Mix Recipe
- Salty Sweet Fall Harvest Snack Mix
***Pin the Baked Cranberry Walnut Brie Recipe for Later***
Baked Brie with Cranberries and Walnuts
Baked Brie Ingredients
- 9.5 ounce round Brie cheese wheel
- ½ cup prepared whole berry cranberry sauce, or use the ingredients and instructions below to make an easy version
Cranberry Sauce Ingredients (if using)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Homemade Cranberry Sauce Directions (if using)
- If making the fresh cranberry sauce, cook the cranberries, honey, butter, thyme, lemon juice, nuts, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan on the stove top.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Remove sauce from heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before adding to the center of the Brie wheel.
Baked Brie Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- If using prepared cranberry sauce, add the chopped nuts and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper. Place the Brie wheel on the pan.
- Gently push the cookie cutter through the cheese to create a center focal point. If the Brie is thick, carefully slice off the top of the cut out, keeping the shape. Return the cheese back to the center.
- Place tray in the preheated oven for 5-8 mins, until the cheese has softened. Allow cheese to set for 5 minutes before adding the cranberry sauce.
- Serve as an easy appetizer or pretty addition to a charcuterie board.
- Change the cutout shape to make this dish for other holidays.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.