Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on a link and/or make a purchase, I may be paid a small commission at no additional cost to you. Additionally, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Disclosure page for more information.
Are you craving a KFC Famous Bowl but don’t want to leave the house? Then look no further – you can make this easy recipe at home in the air fryer or oven.
Our copycat KFC Famous bowl recipe is filled with popcorn chicken, potatoes, corn, smothered in gravy and topped with cheddar cheese. This easy dinner hits all the comfort food notes, especially when paired with a cheddar bay biscuit.
Call me crazy, but I have a hard time choosing just one dish at KFC. Do I order crispy chicken or a bowl? So when I’m craving all of the comfort foods, I go with one of the bowls so I can taste a little bit of everything. Problem solved!
KFC popcorn chicken bowls are super simple to make. And even easier when you make the chicken in the air fryer. I’m also going to share a few shortcuts with you that will save even more time, so you can make this an easy weeknight meal anytime the craving hits.
This recipe is very adaptable. You can adjust the quantities to your preferences. Or swap out rotisserie chicken or roasted turkey if that’s what you have on hand.
Enter your email & I’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
- chicken breasts – when cubing the chicken, try to cut the pieces in similar sizes
- cornstarch – secret ingredient to get that crispy outside like KFC does
- Nature’s seasoning – this is a blend of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, but feel free to mix your own if preferred
- mashed potatoes – these need to be cooked ahead of time
- brown gravy
- shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make the KFC Famous Bowl Recipe
Preheat the air fryer to 385 degrees F. Setup a dredging station using 3 bowls. One that contains the beaten eggs, one with cornstarch, and one with the flour mixed with the seasoning.
Dip each piece of chicken first into the cornstarch, then the egg, ending with the flour mixture. Place the breaded pieces on a plate until you are ready to cook.
Spray the air fryer basket with oil or use a parchment paper liner so the chicken doesn’t stick to the basket.
Air fry for 8 to 10 minutes, shaking the basket occasionally.
Just before the chicken has finished cooking, warm the mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn in the microwave separately.
Assemble the Bowls
Add a cup of mashed potatoes to 4 bowls.
Top with a ½ cup of corn.
Divide the cooked chicken evenly among the bowls and ladle on a ½ cup of gravy.
Top with shredded cheese and serve immediately.
How to Make KFC Famous Bowl as a Casserole
While these famous bowls are off-the-charts delicious, you can throw together a casserole if you don’t want to make individual bowls.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a layer of mashed potatoes in 9×13 casserole dish. Top with corn, then add the chicken. Bake for 15 minutes, then top with cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted, and pour the gravy over top.
Tips for Making
- Use frozen popcorn chicken or grab some from the deli in place of the homemade chicken nuggets.
- Take this dish to the next level by swapping cooked mac and cheese for the mashed potatoes.
- Frozen corn can be used instead of canned. Just thaw it completely first so it doesn’t make the bowls soggy.
- Save time by using instant potatoes or heat and serve potatoes from the grocery. Or use leftover mashed potatoes if you have them on hand.
- If you’re making the casserole version, make sure your gravy is hot before adding it to the top so it doesn’t cool down the casserole.
- Don’t have an air fryer? Bake the chicken in the oven at 375 degrees F on a parchment lined baking sheet.
How to Store Leftovers
Keep the leftover ingredients in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days in separate airtight containers.
Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
Homemade KFC Famous Bowl Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts, about 1-1.5 pounds, cut into cubes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon Nature’s seasoning
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- 2 cups canned corn, drained
- 2 cups brown gravy
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your air fryer to 385 degrees F.
- While air fryer is preheating, create a dredging station with 3 bowls: place beaten eggs in 1 bowl, cornstarch in 2nd bowl and mix flour and seasoning in the 3rd bowl.
- Coat each piece of chicken in the cornstarch, then egg mixture, and ending with the flour mixture. Place on a plate until ready to cook.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with oil and place coated chicken in the basket.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, shaking the contents every 3 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, warm up the mashed potatoes, gravy and corn separately (I use the microwave).
To assemble the Famous bowls:
- Place 1 cup of mashed potatoes in each of 4 serving bowls.
- Top with 1/2 cup of corn.
- Divide the chicken evenly between the bowls and top each bowl with ½ cup of gravy.
- Finish with a ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
- Use frozen popcorn chicken in place of the homemade chicken if you’re short on time. Prepare chicken as directed on the package.
- Substitute mac and cheese for the mashed potatoes and corn if preferred.
- Store leftover ingredients separately in airtight containers for 2-3 days.
- To make as a casserole: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Layer mashed potatoes in a 9×13 casserole dish, then add the corn and finish with the chicken. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, add cheese and bake for 5 more minutes until cheese has melted. Remove from oven and pour hot gravy over the casserole.
- Nutritional information may vary based on the ingredients used.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.